Saturday, February 25, 2012

EDM in 60 seconds

EDM in 60 seconds. What's EDM? EDM stands for Electronic Dance Music. Ever since college, I have been a big "techno" or electronic dance music fan. I've been to concerts in NYC, Miami, Vegas, and Amsterdam. When asked to make a Concept in 60 video, I thought of the footage I have the most of. I am big on taking videos at all of these concerts, so I decided to create a video about my experience at EDM concerts. Usually these concerts last up to 6 hours (with multiple djs), so it was hard for me to break it down to 60 seconds, but I did it! I used Axwell- In the Air as my song (after I stripped all of the original audio) because the rhythm goes with the videos and the song is played by almost all djs. Also, the lyrics represent how you feel the power and love all around you at these concerts. I also listen to this music when I run because it keeps me motivated and "pumped" up. Here is 60 seconds of my EDM concert experiences starting in NYC, moving to Vegas, Miami, and ending in Amsterdam. Enjoy!


5 comments:

  1. Melissa, I LOVE this. Its like you're a pro! I have tons of friends who DJ and work in entertainment and promotion. You could definitely make videos for them. Not sure they would look as cool as these. I was thinking of doing something similar because I LOVE EDM, but the mood did not strike me when it rained Friday and then I got sick. The lighting in the videos is great and definitely captures EDM pretty well. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. I think it is interesting that you chose the topic of electronic music for your video. Lots of DJs are making use of multimedia productions to enhance the music. Dead Mau5 even uses himself with his mouse head to tie in media to create an impact, enhance the music, and create meaning and/or a story. Often the music is without vocals. I wonder if the trend to use media and technology was because of the lack of lyrics or if it was simply an organic way to make the party better. Your video also made me think of the Madonna performance at the Super Bowl. The use of multimedia is the production is clear there but also in her success at using videos for the MTV generation to make visual impact and create stories to enhance and often change the messages of the music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok, so my very best friend and best man at my wedding is going to love this. It’s funny, he is a 40 something soccer coach and he loves this music. He has taken me to clubs in L.A. with his wife, Ravi, who is Thai. They get so excited when “celebrity” DJ’s come to L.A. or Orange County. I love to dance but I am more into dancing to Hip Hop than the techno; however, watching your video reminds me that I do love dancing to techno as well. You shot some great footage which helps highlight the spirit of these gatherings. Were you into this music even in adolescence or did you find it in your adult life? Anyway, great job capturing the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everyone!

    Tyler- I started liking it after spring break sophomore year of college. Now, I love it (although I still listen to different types of music depending on my mood)! I used to hate it, but I really like it now because it just puts me in such a great mood and definitely motivates me when I work out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was FANTASTIC!!!! I honestly skimmed your write-up at first and jumped to the video and then re-read your description. I had NO idea that these were videos from separate cities! You really looped them seamlessly. So impressed! What did you use to create this? iMovie? Animoto?? So curious!

    ReplyDelete