Friday, February 17, 2012

Keepin with the Theme

While reading about themes, I decided to do the exercise on page 303 in Design Basics Index (2004). I liked the book title, Flirting with the Bully, which reminded me of flirting with the enemy. I immediately had several ideas cross my mind. I wanted to go for a theme where it was playful and "school romantic" but at the same time keep it as looked down upon, not a great love. So I decided to use glogster.com to create this cover:
 I thought this represented flirting, but not in a good way. The main heart, with the title, has spikes sticking out and the second is more subtle with clouds over it and it is dripping with "fail" in the middle. I wanted the title and theme of flirting to pop out so I only used color with the main heart. I use the Polaroids to represent hidden pictures because they are blank, since flirting with the bully is not something you want to brag about. The font I used was more about giving off a flirty look instead of something horrific. 

Here is my second cover. I chose the background for this to represent another school theme, like writing notes to the person you "like". I have the camera because it is representing another scandal, since no one would approve of flirting with the bully. The text adds to the frowned upon theme in this along with the words. I put the words to give off that gossip that is usually found in schools among all students. These words are negative, because once again flirting with the bully is not a positive thing.

After doing this exercise, I realized how important it is to really give off a theme. It is important to establish a theme first, and then build on your image/project surrounding that theme. It is important to have images and graphics that go along with your theme so viewers know what message you are giving off.

No comments:

Post a Comment