Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Mathematics, Differentiation, & Technology!

For this week, I created a toolkit based on mathematics, technology, and differentiation! (Check it out!) I decided to explore the topics before actually creating a name for my toolkit. I came across a lot of articles regarding mathematics, technology, and differentiation. So, I thought of my first colleague: another young mathematics teacher that I share a room with and talk to everyday. As I continued exploring, I saw a lot of differentiation using technology. Then, I thought of my co teacher, who is also young and straight out of graduate school. Thus, I decided to put together a toolkit with articles about mathematics and differentiation using technology. Of course, these are articles that I also find interesting since I am a middle school mathematics teacher and I co teach one period. I figured I could send my toolkit to these two first, and then send it to the other mathematics and special education teachers.




If I were to send my toolkit to an administrator, I would definitely make changes. First, I would not include only mathematics, but all subject areas. I want them to be aware of the resources that teachers can implement in their classrooms. It is important for not only teachers to be aware of these resources, but administrators as well. My toolkit would would a lot longer because there are so many different resources, but I would narrow it down to the articles that relate to the technologies we have available and the curriculum we adhere to.

Although technology is rapidly being implemented in schools, there are some teachers that are afraid of the “T” word. No, not teacher, but technology! All teachers should be willing to accept suggestions and attend workshops regarding technology in their classroom. However, if there still is a teacher that is absolutely terrified of technology, I would change my toolkit further. In my toolkit, I would put things such as worksheet creators, behavior chart cards online, teacher planning chart online, and things to assist him/her first. Then, I would have some article regarding technology for beginners or articles in which you do not need to change your teaching style immensely with the incorporation of technology. Teachers who are reluctant must ease into incorporating technology and they also must recognize how beneficial it is to students and themselves. That is why I would choose resources that benefit the teacher, to show that there is a method behind technology madness, and then resources that would benefit everyone in the classroom.

I really enjoyed creating a toolkit and will continue checking this site to increase my knowledge of technology in the classroom!

3 comments:

  1. Melissa you have created such a helpful toolkit! I clicked around your toolkit and I really liked the Assign-a-day and daily schedule planner. The district I am currently subbing in has a teacher program that has a calendar tool and schedule tool like these sites, but many schools are not yet equipped with these types of resources and I'm glad they are available on the web. Many of the math tools you chose help make abstract math concepts visible and concrete, which is a huge advantage for helping students who struggle with math. Great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa, my mom and my sister would love this! They are so lost with technology and the ingo about the smart-board and how to handle assignments, etc. is great. I'm going to share it with them if you don't mind!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, I love how you talked about changing the toolkit based on the audience that you would want to share it with. Tailoring it to teachers and administrators is key. I also thought how great it would be to tailor it to parents and include them, strengthening the home school connection and doing so in a virtual way would make the process and flexibility a lot more convenient. I an curious to hear how your colleagues like it.

    ReplyDelete