Sunday, January 22, 2012

"When I celebrate life, I celebrate with the best: Ciroc Ultra Premium Vodka"


As I am thinking of ways to incorporate technology into my classroom as a future educator, I thought to myself- do students these days know how to think critically? Are they capable of making judgments? Do they understand the importance of exposing information on the Web? According to the 21st Century Skills, Education & Competitiveness: Resource and Policy Guide, we must expose and help create skills such as "thinking critically and making judgments about the barrage of information that comes their way everyday- on the Web, in the media, in homes, workplaces and everywhere else" (p. 10).  Thus, it is important to critically analyze messages in commercials, in the media, and on the web. I decided to analyze the Ciroc Vodka commercial featuring P. Diddy.

When I first saw this video, I thought to myself, "Wow, P. Diddy drinks Ciroc Vodka? I thought celebrities only drink Grey Goose". I knew Ciroc was a better vodka out there, but I didn't think celebrities drank it- I must try it now because it has to be good.

Clearly, this commercial was intended to get people (of age, of course) to drink and buy their vodka, and to also think of their vodka for celebratory events. P. Diddy offers his perspective about that vodka, stating, "When I celebrate life, I celebrate it with the best: Ciroc Ultra Premium Vodka".   Everyone wants to live like a celebrity, so why not add a celeb into our commercial to show that our vodka is popular in the "life of a celebrity"? P. Diddy is a well-respected celebrity who is successful, listened to by many, seen at award shows and even has his own show, and he is also a producer. With that being said, he represents wealth, specifically, what a celebrity would choose to drink to "celebrate life".

This commercial represents class, sophistication, maturity, and elegance. I would imagine that this commercial is geared towards adults that are done living wildly in crazy clubs because if it was geared towards those who enjoy the "club scene", the commercial would show a club with drinking, dancing, loud music, etc. This atmosphere is calm, glamorous, and shows success and wealth by showing the gorgeous gowns, tuxedos, setting, glasses, and of course a celebrity. The only voice heard in this commercial is by a celebrity, but one can assume the others are related to P. Diddy and they must be wealthy and successful, too. They are all smiling, dancing, and having fun by drinking this vodka. This whole 30 second commercial is a representation of the American Dream: they are celebrating life, their success, wealth, beauty, and happiness.

From the perspective of a video producer, there are important design decisions used in creating this ad. For starters: the song. Frank Sinatra is an icon and "Come Fly with Me" is a very popular song. It was also carefully planned that the verse, "If you can use some exotic booze, there's a bar in far Bombay" was used because the commercial is obviously about booze. It's also a relaxing song, not an upbeat song that you would hear in a club. The atmosphere represents wealth- the elegance, glam, sophistication, mansion, etc. The commercial is also in plain black and white, which reminds me of Old Hollywood. P. Diddy is used because he is another icon, and he would influence people to drink Ciroc. When I first saw it, I had to think if I a) ever had Ciroc, b) if I thought it was classy vodka, and c) do celebrities really drink that? Clearly, using these design decisions have an influence on the way people view the product being presents, in this case: Ciroc.  

If anyone is wondering- reading this to see if Diddy made an impact on audiences watching this commercial: 

2 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    I must live in a shell, I never heard of this brand of vodka until I saw the commercial. Anyways, on topic, I think it's interesting that you commented on this commercial targeting and older generation, whose club haydays are over. When I first watched it I thought the same thing, and from there I sort of lost my focus on which generation because we could be looking at those in their late thirties to people in their 80's. I agree with your observation that this ad is about class, and the use of the Sinatra music certainly evokes nostalgia as well as top hats and tails.

    The commercial creates this juxtaposition though, of P.Diddy and Sinatra. I wouldn't necessarily put P.Diddy in the "classy" category -- personal opinion -- but coupled with a Sinatra song, and elegant evening wear, he cleans up alright. I think marrying the image of a rapper with a timeless classic like Sinatra is an attempt to bring together today's club goers as well as those in an older generation. Perhaps for a classy-let's-feel-like-celebrities-party because, as you mentioned before, don't we all wish we had that life?? :o)

    Johanna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa,

      I'd love to hear what Obama has to say about "Ciroc Obama." I'm sure he would invite P. Diddy over for a glass in the White House if that has not already happened. Politics aside, I think it is so interesting that you researched if sales improved after P. Diddy became the spokes person. Celebrity representation choice really is a crucial factor. Now you have me curious about "Devotion" vodka. If you've never heard of it, it is a protein infused vodka. The spokesperson- well of course there is no better choice than Mike "The Situation" from MTV's Jersey Shore.

      http://dailyfashionista.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/the-situation-devotion-vodka.jpg

      Talk about targeting a completely different type of audience.

      Delete